What's not to love about a perfectly toasted bagel in the morning? All that warm, crunchy bread needs, once it pops out of the toaster, is a satisfying, mouth-watering spread. In our not-so-humble opinion, the best spread for that job is butter. Not sure butter is best? Below are 15 different bagels with butter combinations to help convince you.
Do Bagels Taste Good With Butter?
The bottom line is, butter makes everything taste better. Really good butter adds an element of richness and indulgence to any meal and every kind of bread—from your morning French toast to a classic bagel. Once that butter starts to melt into a warm, toasted bagel, your taste buds are in for an absolute treat.
15 Bagel With Butter Combinations:
- Cinnamon & Brown Sugar Flavored Butter on a Cinnamon Raisin Bagel
Cinnamon & Brown Sugar Flavored Butter (dairy or plant-based) is the perfect match for Cinnamon Raisin bagels. It tastes like sweet breakfast heaven.
- Roasted Garlic Herb Flavored Butter on an Onion Bagel
Understandably, having an Onion bagel in the morning is not always the best option for those around you. Still, it's worth the onion breath when the bagel is smothered with Roasted Garlic Herb Flavored Butter (dairy or plant-based).
- Black Truffle Flavored Butter on a Rye Bagel
Black Truffle Flavored Butter goes well with any savory bagel, but it's even better on a Rye bagel.
- Lemon Garlic Herb Flavored Butter on a Poppyseed Bagel
Add Lemon Garlic Herb Flavored Butter (dairy or plant-based) to a Poppyseed bagel for some added texture to go with this smooth butter.
- Chili Lime Flavored Butter on a Jalapeno Cheddar Bagel
Put Chili Lime Flavored Butter on a cheddar bagel. Trust us.
- Garlic Parmesan Flavored Butter on an Everything Bagel
Everything bagels are already iconic but put Garlic Parmesan Flavored Butter on it, and it tastes even better.
- Tuscan Herb Flavored Butter on an Asiago Bagel
Spread Tuscan Herb Flavored Butter (dairy or plant-based) on an Asiago bagel, and you're set.
- Honey Flavored Butter on a Blueberry Bagel
Honey Flavored Butter pairs nicely with the fruitiness of a Blueberry bagel.
- White Truffle Flavored Butter on a Sesame Bagel
Add White Truffle Flavored Butter to a Sesame bagel and take it from ordinary to extraordinary.
- Cinnamon & Brown Sugar Flavored Butter on a French Toast Bagel
Yep, they exist. Adding Cinnamon & Brown Sugar Flavored Butter (dairy or plant-based) to a French Toast bagel is a quick and easy way to enjoy the deliciousness of cinnamon French toast without the hassle and mess.
- Roasted Garlic Herb Flavored Butter on an Egg Bagel
For a simple and tasty breakfast, spread Roasted Garlic Herb Flavored Butter (dairy or plant-based) on an Egg bagel.
- Garlic Parmesan Flavored Butter on a Garlic Bagel
Garlic Parmesan Flavored Butter and a Garlic bagel is a no-brainer. Garlic and cheese.
- Honey Flavored Butter on a Chocolate Chip Bagel
Craving something sweet? Spread Honey Flavored Butter on a Chocolate Chip bagel.
- Sea Salt & Black Pepper Flavored Butter on a Whole Grain Bagel
Craving a savory and filling breakfast? Sea Salt & Black Pepper Butter (seasonal flavor) with cheese and egg on a whole-grain bagel will get you there.
- Pumpkin Spice Flavored Butter on a Pumpernickel Bagel
Pumpkin spice isn't just for lattes. Try Pumpkin Spice Flavored Butter (seasonal flavor) on a pumpernickel bagel. Pure perfection.
Bagel With Butter vs. Cream Cheese
A bagel with cream cheese has always been a popular way to eat a bagel, but we think a bagel with butter is even better (no bias here, promise). Cream cheese is thick, creamy, and delicious, but it can tend to overpower the flavor and texture of a bagel. And after all, aren’t we choosing bagels because we like the taste and texture of them? Plus, we’d argue there are many more flavor combinations you can play with when you use butter.
Tips for Toasting the Perfect Bagel
- If your bagel is dry, try keeping it whole and dipping it in water before toasting. Most bagels are boiled before they’re baked, so this replicates its original prep process.
- Don’t over-toast. A light brown toasting is best for holding and absorbing toppings and spreads.
- Slice your bagels if you’re toasting them in a toaster, but keep them whole if you are using a traditional or toaster oven.
Now you know why butter is better, what combinations to try, and exactly how to toast the perfect bagel. What are you waiting for? Go ahead and have a delicious and fast breakfast. While you’re at it, post your favorites and tag us at @epicureanbutter on Instagram for a chance to be shared. We’re dying to see someone make a butter board featuring different flavored butter and chunks of bagel for dipping.