Spring is here and summer is on the horizon, and that means we have outdoor cooking on the brain. Maybe you’ve already seen our campfire grilling post from awhile back and have seen that the Epicurean Butter team knows its way around an open fire, but we have a few ideas for cooking on an enclosed flame, too.
First Things First: Proper Butter Usage On The Grill
Not all fats and oils are created equal, especially when it comes to smoke points. For your health and the best flavor, you want to cook with a fat that won’t burn, or smoke, at the temperature you are cooking your food. (Check out this handy list of oils and their smoke points.)
For example, if you are grilling a steak and want to marinade the meat first, it’s best to choose an oil with a high smoke point since the meat will be cooking at high, direct heat. Some oils like avocado oil have very high smoke points where as canola oil and even unclarified butter have low smoke points and aren’t ideal for cooking for grilling.
That doesn’t mean you can’t grill with Epicurean’s compound butter. You just need to follow a few steps.
- In the last 3-5 minutes of grilling, turn down the grill to low heat
- Soften or melt the butter by placing the container on top of a hot stove or grille. You could microwave it a touch, too.
- Brush the butter onto the food you are grilling
The exception here is if you’ve wrapped the veggies or protein in foil and/or have the food placed on an upper rack so it’s not on direct heat. In this case, the butter is not likely to burn or smoke so you can put it in the packet sooner.
Buttery Grilled Mains
With those instructions out of the way, here are some ideas for what to eat from the grill along with Epicurean Butter!
- Steak (of course) with White or Black Truffle Butter
- Butter burgers - beef, turkey, or veggie! - with Roasted Garlic Herb Butter
- Salmon or tuna with Lemon Garlic Herb Butter
- Veggie kabobs with Chili Lime Butter
Buttery Grilled Sides
- Cornbread with Cinnamon & Brown Sugar Butter
- Wedged russet potatoes (skewered or in a foil packet) with Roasted Garlic Herb Butter
- Cauliflower (skewered or in a foil packet) with Tuscan Herb Butter
Have more ideas on what to grill with Epicurean Butter flavors? Tell us about them on Facebook.